Pendleton Underground
The heart and soul of our community
Login - Create Account - Help
Clean out your garage on Pendleton bookoo! Or find local garage sales on Yard Sale Search.com
PCSing? Win the lottery? Explore Camp Pendleton Housing courtesy of Military Real Estate!

my puppy ate some chocolate!!!!

who's talking here?

Joe Momma 1
PeachyKeene 1
jennifer 1
cold 1
Jack Hass 1
♪Mikayla 1
Kariane 1
the koz's 1
Flameless in a Handbasket 2
Kassie*Dove Chocolatier* 1
missindependent 4
VA♥girl 2
stinkeye:the☠ABANDONER 2

     » send to friend     » save in my favorites     » flag dangerous topic flag as a dangerous topic

missindependent --- 4 years ago -

um soo he got a hold of a chocolate coin! has this ever happened to yall before? they say chocolate kills dogs!!! ahhh no!!! 

jennifer --- 4 years ago -

He should be ok with that amount unless he is a very small dog. mine have gotten a hold of larger amounts and they are pugs and were fine but if you are worried call the vet and ask them what they think 

Jack Hass --- 4 years ago -

I have a malte-poo (11 lbs) who ate 2 girl scout thin mints and was o.k. 

♪Mikayla --- 4 years ago -

Should be fine. My MIL is stupid because she fed her dog a little chocolate whenever she had some. Because she just couldn't say no. It was a little dog. Even that dog was fine. 

missindependent --- 4 years ago -

he is 7 weeks old!!! im super worried. they said the best thing to do is wait it out! 

stinkeye:the☠ABANDONER --- 4 years ago -

You're dog will be fine, it will only kill them in a large amount. I wouldn't worry. Other things to watch out for tho are things like grapes and raisins because they cause kidney failure in dogs. But here, read this Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhoea are also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog¬ís heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise. After their pet has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-four hours. Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. A 10-kilogram dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog unwell. Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate are the next most dangerous forms, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate to be affected. Obviously, the smaller the dog, the less it needs to eat. 

Joe Momma --- 4 years ago -

Knowing which chocolate is the most toxic is important, but leaves one wondering how much must be eaten to poison a dog. The list in this box should be helpful. Maybe you can clip it and post it on your refrigerator? White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog. Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level. Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog. Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog. 

stinkeye:the☠ABANDONER --- 4 years ago -

I'm sorry I realize that wont help calm your nerves, but its just information to pass on. If the dog ate a lot, just watch of the urination and hyperactivity, if it seems unusal take her/him to an emergency vet clinic, but if not I wouldn't worry. 

PeachyKeene --- 4 years ago -

Good info Joe Momma... I always wondered that.. and it is right on for my dogs weights! I have a 10 and a 20 pound dog! mrs.z, I hope your puppy is ok! 

VA♥girl --- 4 years ago -

Give it half a cap full of peroxide. It will make the puppy vomit everything out of it's belly. My dog has epilepsy, so we have to be EXTRA careful. But still doesn't mean he doesn't get into things he's not suppose to. He ate a bowl full of raw hamburger meat one time, NOT good. We called the Emergency Vet, we were too far out in the country to get him there in time. So the vet told us to give him a cap full of peroxide, said that's what exactly he would do if we brought him in... 

missindependent --- 4 years ago -

thank yall soo much! he is sleeping right now and they say that its not until after two hrs of eating it! but i seriously think he will b fine! cus it was milk choc. coin thing.. and we cnt find the wrapper either haha so that could b bad too 

Kariane --- 4 years ago -

Give it half a cap full of peroxide. It will make the puppy vomit everything out of it's belly When my dog ate chocolate the vet said that can actually be dangerous to do. My 20lb beagle got into our old roommates chocolate. A half bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. She started puking like crazy and panting. We were going to wait it out but then she started panting so bad, and walking in circles and her eyes were glazed over. Took her to the emergency vet and $249 later we walked out. They gave her charcoal to aborb what was left, an IV and a enema. Said we got lucky we took her in. Trust your instincts..Keep a GOOD eye on the pup 

Kassie*Dove Chocolatier* --- 4 years ago -

Don't worry, if you are use the peroxide I use a tablespoon. Just make sure your pup is outside cause it starts working instantly! When we first got my dog she ate a whole tube of a and d ointment... Yeah that was fun. Lol I have her the peroxide and it all came up. All it does is fizzes up and their stomach and helps push everything out. 

VA♥girl --- 4 years ago -

When my dog ate chocolate the vet said that can actually be dangerous to do. Only if you give it like a cup full or something. There are a lot of vets that say just a little bit of peroxide is not bad, it's better to get something that could kill them out as soon as possible before their stomach absorbs it! 

cold --- 4 years ago -

my dog found a choco covered peanut when she was about 7 months... she is now a year old and healthy! 

the koz's --- 4 years ago -

you should be fine just wait it out 

Flameless in a Handbasket --- 4 years ago -

has this ever happened to yall before? My dog ate 1 peanut M&M yesterday, he's not dead. 

missindependent --- 4 years ago -

oh yea he ate more choc than an m&m! 

Flameless in a Handbasket --- 4 years ago -

a chocolate coin isn't a lot of chocolate. I'm sure all will be fine. 

page 1
Login to add your comments!

see more discussions about...

Terms of Service - Privacy Policy - Ice Box

Pendleton Underground